Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mint-tastic Cupcakes

Andes Mint Cupcakes


While pregnant I felt a great desire to bake, but I had very little free time because I was swamped with my last semester of school, preparing for Cordelia, and being sick to my stomach- so I never managed to bake anything. When I came across this recipe I jumped at the chance to make it for the hubby for his first Father's Day (he loves Andes Mints). The recipe came from Your Cup of Cake, I stumbled across this blog and I have quickly become obsessed, I think I want to try all of her recipes. To see her post on the Andes Mint Cupcake click here    


Chocolate Cupcake:
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup water
1 box devils food cake mix

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with liners
2. mix sour cream, oil and vanilla extract together
3. Add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each one
4. Alternate adding the cake mix and the liquids (buttermilk &water), stir well
5. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 14-18 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

As a note, I think I filled my cupcake liners a little too full so the tops of the cupcakes kinda spilled over when they baked- they still tasted good, but they didn't look as pretty. 


Chocolate Mint Filing:
1/3 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar

1. Melt chocolate chips and heavy cream together, I did this in the microwave but you can also do it on the stove-top over medium heat
2. Stir in peppermint extract and powdered sugar
3. When the cupcakes come out of the oven use a squeeze bottle to fill the cupcakes with the filling



Mint Buttercream:
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
green food coloring 

1. Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy
2. Add powdered sugar, heavy cream and peppermint extract- beat well
3. Add green food coloring
4. Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes and top with an Andes Mint  


The hubby loved them and they were a huge success- and they are the prettiest thing I have ever baked too! I feel a new desire to cook, and bake so look forward to more food posts. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh goodness Katie! These look wonderful!! I love the color combination, and I'm sure the flavor combination as well! I look forward to more cooking posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good wife, Brendon is lucky to have you!!!! So is the whole family!!! They are just beautiful makes me want to go home and make them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful! Thanks for linking back to me!

    ReplyDelete